Breast and Cervical Cancer Treatment Program
Oklahoma Cares is a partnership of the Oklahoma State Department of Health (OSDH), the Oklahoma Health Care Authority (OHCA), the Cherokee Nation, the Kaw Nation of Oklahoma, and the Oklahoma Department of Human Services (OKDHS). This program provides treatment for breast and cervical cancer and pre-cancerous conditions to eligible women.
To qualify, a woman must:
- be screened under the Breast and Cervical Cancer Early Detection Program (NBCCEDP) and have an abnormal screen, requiring further diagnosis and/or treatment services;
- have qualifying low income and not otherwise be eligible for SoonerCare;
- have no other insurance covering Breast and Cervical Cancer (BCC) diagnosis or treatment (Note: medical care programs of the Indian Health Services (IHS) or tribal organizations are not considered creditable insurance);
- be under the age of 65;
- declare her Social Security number;
- assign her rights to Third Party Liability.
- Breast and cervical cancer and pre-cancer diagnosis and treatment;
- SoonerCare coverage that includes the full range of services (not only cancer treatment);
- SoonerCare eligibility may be continued until the woman is either financially ineligible or no longer needs treatment.
How to apply
Check with your doctor to see if he or she is a certified screener. If your doctor is not a certified screener, ask him to contact the Take Charge! Program at the Oklahoma State Department of Health.
You can find a BCCEDP screening provider in your area by contacting;
Once you have been screened by means of clinical breast exam, mammogram, or pap smear and found to be in need of further diagnosis and treatment, you or your screener can call the Oklahoma State Department of Health to find out how to apply for Oklahoma Cares.
If you have been previously diagnosed with breast or cervical cancer and are still undergoing treatment and meet all of the other eligibility criteria, you may be eligible for this program. Call the Oklahoma State Department of Health to find out how.