Home and Community-Based Services Waivers
SoonerCare operates eight programs to provide home and community care as a cost-effective alternative to institutionalization. These are known as "waiver" programs because standard program requirements are waived to allow the program to operate. The waiver programs provide some services that otherwise are not covered under SoonerCare.
Public input is the cornerstone of developing and implementing waiver programs. We solicite any comments you may have regarding any of our waiver programs.
1915c Home and Community-Based Services Waivers
The state of Oklahoma maintains the following waivers relating to integrated care.
Four waivers for the frail elderly and adults with physical disabilities age 21 and over who do not have mental retardation or a cognitive impairment:
- ADvantage: Serves frail elderly individuals age 65 or older and adult Oklahomans age 21 and older with physical disabilities who would otherwise require placement in a nursing facility.
- Medically Fragile - This program serves qualifying individuals who meet hospital or skilled nursing facility level of care.
Four waivers listed below are for people with intellectual disabilities
- Community Waiver: A division of OKDHS, DDSD serves individuals who are 3 years of age and older who have mental retardation and certain persons with related conditions who would otherwise require placement in an intermediate care facility for the mentally retarded.
- Homeward Bound Waiver: Serves individuals who are 18 years of age and older who have mental retardation and certain persons with related conditions who: (1) would otherwise require placement in an ICF/MR; and (2) have been certified by the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Oklahoma as being members of the plaintiff class in Homeward Bound et al. v. The Hissom Memorial Center et al., Case No. 85-C-437-e.
- In-Home Supports for Adults Waiver: Serves the needs of individuals 18 years of age and older with mental retardation who would otherwise require placement in an ICF/MR.
- In-Home Supports for Children Waiver: Serves the needs of children ages 3 through 17 years with mental retardation who would otherwise require placement in an ICF/MR.