OHCA Policies and Rules

Search Entire Policy
OHCA Policies and Rules Main Page

317:35-5-41.9.Resource disregards

[Revised 06-25-11]
In determining need, the following are not considered as resources:
(1) The coupon allotment under the Food Stamp Act of 1977;
(2) Any payment received under Title II of the Uniform Relocation Assistance and Real Property Acquisition Policies Act of 1970;
(3) Education grants (excluding Work Study) scholarships, etc., that are contingent upon the student regularly attending school. The student's classification (graduate or undergraduate) is not a factor;
(4) Loans (regardless of use) if a bona fide debt or obligation to pay can be established. Criteria to establish a loan as bona fide includes:
(A) An acknowledgment of obligation to repay or evidence that the loan was from an individual or financial institution in the loan business. If the loan agreement is not written, an OKDHS Loan Verification form is completed by the borrower attesting that the loan is bona fide and signed by the lender verifying the date and amount of loan. When copies of written agreements or OKDHS Loan Verification form are not available, detailed case documentation must include information that the loan is bona fide and how the debt amount and date of receipt was verified;
(B) If the loan was from a person(s) not in the loan business, the borrower's acknowledgment of obligation to repay (with or without interest) and the lender's verification of the loan are required to indicate that the loan is bona fide;
(C) Proceeds of a loan secured by an exempt asset are not an asset;
(5) Indian payments or items purchased from Indian payments (including judgment funds or funds held in trust) distributed by the Secretary of the Interior (BIA) or distributed by the tribe subject to approval by the Secretary of the Interior. Also, any interest or investment income accrued on such funds while held in trust or any purchases made with judgment funds, trust funds, interest or investment income accrued on such funds. Any income from mineral leases, from tribal business investments, etc. However, any interest or income derived from the principal or produced by purchases made with the funds after distribution is considered as any other income. Funds and property held in Individual Indian Money (IIM) Accounts are treated as a converted resource and disregarded for purposes of eligibility. Disbursements of funds from IIM accounts are to be disregarded as a resource in the month in which the disbursement was made. However, any retained disbursed funds are counted as a resource for purposes of eligibility on the first of the month following the month of disbursement;
(6) Special allowance for school expenses made available upon petitions (in writing) from funds held in trust for the student;
(7) Benefits from State and Community Programs on Aging (Title III) are disregarded. Income from the Older American Community Service Employment Act (Title V), including AARP and Green Thumb organizations as well as employment positions allocated at the discretion of the Governor of Oklahoma, is counted as earned income. Both Title III and Title V are under the Older Americans Act of 1965 amended by PL 100-175 to become the Older Americans Act amendments of 1987;
(8) Payments for supportive services or reimbursement of out-of-pocket expenses made to individual volunteers serving as foster grandparents, senior health aides, or senior companions, and to persons serving in the Services Corps of Retired Executives (SCORE) and Active Corps of Executives (ACE);
(9) Payment to volunteers under the Domestic Volunteer Services Act of 1973 (VISTA), unless the gross amount of VISTA payments equals or exceeds the state or federal minimum wage, whichever is greater;
(10) The value of supplemental food assistance received under the Child Nutrition Act or the special food services program for children under the National School Lunch Act;
(11) Any portion of payments made under the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act to an Alaska Native which are exempt from taxation under the Settlement Act;
(12) Experimental Housing Allowance Program (EHAP) payments made under Annual Contributions Contracts entered into prior to January 1, 1975, under Section 23 of the U.S. Housing Act of 1937, as amended;
(13) Payments made from the Agent Orange Settlement Fund or any other fund established pursuant to the settlement in the In Re Agent Orange product liability litigation, M.D.L. No. 381 (E.D.N.Y.);
(14) Payments made from the Radiation Exposure Compensation Trust Fund as compensation for injuries or deaths resulting from the exposure to radiation from nuclear testing and uranium mining;
(15) Federal major disaster and emergency assistance provided under the Disaster Relief Act of 1974, and comparable disaster assistance provided by States, local governments and disaster assistance organizations;
(16) Interests of individual Indians in trust or restricted lands;
(17) Resources set aside under an approved Plan for Achieving Self-Support for Blind or Disabled People (PASS). The Social Security Administration approves the plan, the amount of resources excluded and the period of time approved. A plan can be approved for an initial period of 18 months. The plan may be extended for an additional 18 months if needed, and an additional 12 months (total 48 months) when the objective involves a lengthy educational or training program;
(18) Payments made to individuals because of their status as victims of Nazi persecution (PL 103-286);
(19) A migratory farm worker's out-of-state homestead is disregarded if the farm worker's intent is to return to the homestead after the temporary absence;
(20) Payments received under the Civil Liberties Act of 1988. These payments are to be made to individuals of Japanese ancestry who were detained in internment camps during World War II;
(21) Dedicated bank accounts established by representative payees to receive and maintain retroactive SSI benefits for disabled/blind children up to the legal age of 18. The dedicated bank account must be in a financial institution, the sole purpose of which is to receive and maintain SSI underpayments which are required or allowed to be deposited into such an account. The account must be set up and verification provided to SSA before the underpayment can be released;
(22) Payments received as a result of participation in a class action lawsuit entitled "Factor VIII or IX Concentrate Blood Products Litigation". These payments are made to hemophilia patients who are infected with HIV. Payments are not considered as income or resources. A penalty cannot be assessed against the individual if he/she disposes of part or all of the payment. The rules at OAC 317:35-5-41.6 regarding the availability of a trust do not apply if an individual establishes a trust using the settlement payment;
(23) Payments made to certain Vietnam veterans' children with spina bifida (PL 104-204);
(24) Payments made to certain Korea service veterans' children with spina bifida (PL 108-183);
(25) Payments made to the children of women Vietnam veterans who suffer from certain birth defects (PL 106-419);
(26) For individuals with an Oklahoma Long-Term Care Partnership Program approved policy, resources equal to the amount of benefits paid on the insured's behalf by the long-term care insurer are disregarded at the time of application for long-term care services provided by SoonerCare. The Oklahoma Insurance Department approves policies as Long-term Care Partnership Program policies;
(27) Workers' Compensation Medicare Set Aside Arrangements (WCMSAs), which allocate a portion of the workers' compensation settlement for future medical expenses; and
(28) Additional payments of regular unemployment compensation in the amount of $25 per week ending June 30, 2010 and any amount of emergency unemployment compensation paid through May 31, 2010, as authorized under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Tax Act of 2009. 

Disclaimer. The OHCA rules found on this Web site are unofficial. The official rules are published by the Oklahoma Secretary of State Office of Administrative Rules as Title 317 of the Oklahoma Administrative Code. To order an official copy of these rules, contact the Office of Administrative Rules at (405) 521-4911.